Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Greater Awareness

  I recently went for a hike with a close friend of mine through the bluffs around my school. While we were gazing over our campus from a spot near the top of a bluff, I got to thinking about my surroundings. I took in the endless curtain of trees around me and the sun setting over the horizon.

Here is a picture from said hiking adventure

  I began to realize how little time I take to stop and look at what is around me. Being a college student, I spend a lot of time staring at a screen or rushing from one place to the next. I have classes to go to, social media to maintain, and activities to participate in. I don't make an effort to take time out of my day to even look at what is going on around me. This made me think of a quote I had known from Roald Dahls novel Charlie and the Chocolate Factory-

"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it"

  This really struck a chord with me. What might I be missing by being arrogant to what is happening around me? How will I be successful in the future if I can't take the time to know what is happening in the world? This situation made me think of a YouTube video that became very popular last spring. It is entitled "Look Up" and is all about how in this day and age, we are too reliant on technology. We are not paying attention to what is happening around us. 

Here is the link to the video if you haven't seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7dLU6fk9QY  

  This video helped me to see that I am probably not the only person who is not looking at what is happening in their surroundings. It also made me realize the potential problems that I may face by being less aware. 

  I've decided to challenge myself. Just like that day hiking through the bluffs, I want to take more time and effort to realize how blessed I am in my surroundings. I want to be more knowledgeable in current events as well as what is happening in my immediate vicinity. I encourage you to do the same. 

  Have you seen this as a problem happening around you? Or maybe even in yourself? What do you think people can do to become more aware of their surroundings? 

2 comments:

  1. I really like what you're doing here with your blog! It looks great and I look forward to seeing what else you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cat, I really enjoyed reading this post! It was well thought out and interesting to read because it relates directly to our beautiful campus! Also, GREAT JOB on on the blog layout and design! It really creates a professional, cohesive and holistic look!

    ReplyDelete