Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Stress.

Stress. This word can seem quite terrifying. For me, stress is something that I try to avoid at all costs. Even if I put my best efforts forward, stress still seems to creep its way back into my mind. Stress isn't necessarily all bad all the time. Sometimes stress can be a motivator to get work done, but other times it is just an annoyance that keeps you up at night.  I've recently realized that I do a lot of things to create extra stress for myself that isn't necessary or conducive to my work and I also have a few tips to help relieve some of those stressful things.

 Here are a few things I do that add to my stress:


Over analyzing- I am someone who cannot get my brain to shut off. If I have something that is stressing me out, it will continue to pop up in my thoughts and cause distraction. 

Procrastination- What can I say, I tend to keep things to the last minute. This has been something I have struggled with for a long time and I know can be a common problem. Sometimes it seems like I cannot get myself to work on something unless I'm under the pressure of a deadline.

Over-involvement- Being involved is a very good thing, especially in college when there are so many opportunities. But getting involved in too many things can cause stress. I don't know how some people can balance everything they put on their plate. 

Now, here are a few thing I do to help relieve some of the stress:

Take some time- When my brain is rushing and I feel overwhelmed, I make sure that I take some time to myself. I'm someone who needs to be alone to be able to get my thoughts into order. Whether it be spending some time playing my ukulele or watching cooking videos on Youtube, I use this time as an escape.  

Treat yourself- If I have a lot going on and I am feeling stressed, I reward myself when I get something done. This seems to make the stress seem a bit more manageable. It could be a treat of a snack or an opportunity to scroll through my social media. These little treats make stressful tasks less intimidating, 

Think positively- Just having a positive mindset can relieve some of the intimidation of stress. Being optimistic in a stressful situation can cause it to be less daunting. I like to tell myself that this stress I am dealing with will not last forever and that everything will be fine. Just thinking that way can be a relief. 

These are just a few pieces of stress and a few solutions. It's important to know your limits on stress and understand how to handle it yourself.

What are some things that stress you out? What do you do to make that stress less intimidating?

Thanks for reading and have a lovely day!


3 comments:

  1. I really like the topic you chose to post about, it is really relevant for college students! the way you organized it worked really well. keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice tips on ways to relieve stress, I am surely going to try some next time I feel really stressed out. I like how you post about your life experiences and then make it easy for readers to relate them to their own lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are some great tips, Cat! Wish I would have read this last week during finals!

    ReplyDelete